Saturday 21 April 2012

Badly played endgame leads to defeat

It was Sunday afternoon and the final game.  Having played 1.e4 as White I realised of course, that Black had the opening choice.  He chose 1. ..c6 The Caro-Kann.  Again, I'm not sure of the theory but I'm very aware that the standing joke in chess is that many Caro-Kann battles lead to draws!  There is a sharpish line that I have been advised to play by an IM in the London Chess Centre and that is the 'Advanced Variation' (1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 Bf5 4.h4 h5 5.c4).  Whilst I have had a lot of success with this variation in Blitz I wasn't confident enough to play it at this tournament.  Not sure why? -  Instead I elected to play the 'Classical Variation'.  I made one or two beginner's errors - For instance, taking the Knight on f6 wasn't entirely necessary - I could have simply played 6.Bd3 instead.  

Interestingly I thought I had the game completely wrapped up with a passed 'b' pawn that I considered unstoppable!  - Not the case :(   It turned out that I completely overlooked his 'unstoppable' capture of my pawn on d4 and his own threat of queening the 'd' pawn.  He ends up with a passed pawn and a won game.











PGN Viewer courtesy of http://chesstempo.com/

No comments: