Saturday 25 November 2023

The enemy Knight became a beast!

I made a major strategic blunder in my last club game against Reading A Team.   In this game I really should not have allowed my opponent to place his remaining Knight on e5. During the middle/endgame phase having a Knight on such is a square is a blessing. The Knight surveys eight squares of the board and in this case, the Knight controlled the entire game from e5.

My Knight on the other hand was placed poorly on a2 ("Knight on the rim is dim") and ended up getting trapped ... ! Rubbish ... !! Never mind - learnt from this and won't let it happen again...   

Note: when I showed some colleagues the position after 16. ..e5, I gave them three choices ... They can either play 17.dxe6(ep), 17.fxe5 (which I wrongly elected to do) or 17.f5 which looked to be the strongest move. Unsurprisingly, out of those colleagues asked, the ones with the best chess ratings elected to play f5! This looks to be the correct move as the enemy Knight is certainly deprived of the e5 square, and White gets an attack against the enemy King, with effectively a Kingside pawn-storm.

As usual, any comments welcome ...

Kings Indian




PGN Viewer courtesy of http://chesstempo.com/

No comments: