Monday 11 March 2013

Portsmouth Chess Congress 2013: Game 1

I played the major section of the 5th Portsmouth Chess Congress this year. I scored 2.5 out of 6, an improvement of 0.5 over last year which is pleasing. I have decided to Blog all six games. On my first game I was able to play the Budapest. Fortunately for me, my opponent thought for a good 10-15 mins on move 3!? Surely this is a no-no!!! I once read that it is essential to play the first series of opening moves as quickly as possible, especially in a tournament. Once the opening is over it is only THEN that you should take time to find a) the right plan and b) perhaps look to make the game tactical?

I have to admit that I got lucky in this game and managed to win a piece for a pawn with a simple fork. Anyway, here is the game that I managed to win ...

As usual, any comments welcome ...

Game 1 - Budapest Defense



PGN Viewer courtesy of http://chesstempo.com/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Greg you must have been on the high after Re8+ but the game would be balanced game until...

21. Qe2 seems to lose hold on e...
why not trying to bring Ne4 with 21. Nd2 ?

Unknown said...

is 21. Nd2 better?